4 of the Best Reasons to Swaddle a Baby with a Swaddler
Best Reasons to Swaddle a Baby
Imagine being a newborn baby. You’re warm and secure inside of your mother for nine months, and then BAM! You’re born into a chilly world and you startle very easily, even when you’re trying to fall asleep. These things make it hard for you to get comfy and cozy enough to sleep.
Doesn’t sound great, does it? One of the ways parents can help babies stay warm and cozy during those first few months or so is to swaddle them. I swaddled all four of my kiddos, knowing how much they would benefit from it.
These are some of the best reasons to swaddle a baby, especially during the first two months:
- Swaddling helps to keep baby warm. Babies don’t have the ability to regulate their temperature during the first month or so of life, so swaddling helps to keep them warm.
- Swaddling helps to keep babies from startling when they’re falling asleep (aptly called the ‘startle reflex). Have you ever witnessed this with a baby? Often, thebaby starts to doze off, but then as his or her limbs relax or there’s a loud noise, he or she startles, waking up. It’s a full body startle, like what you feel when you have the sensation of falling. By swaddling, the baby won’t startle as easily since the arms are wrapped in the swaddle.
- Swaddling helps the baby to feel secure. Being in close quarters inside the mother’s womb gave baby a feeling of safety and security for nine months.
- Swaddling reduces excessive crying. Because of all of the above reasons, babies are less likely to cry when swaddled. Since they feel warm, secure, and are less likely to startle, they are also less likely to cry.
This post contains affiliate links.
Is Swaddling Safe?
Recently a study came out that begged the question is swaddling safe. The answer is yes, as long as:
- the baby cannot undo or escape from the swaddle
- the baby can’t roll over
- the baby is placed in an empty crib or bassinet on his/her back
- the baby’s swaddle isn’t too tight
Once any of those things occur, swaddling is no longer safe, but there are safe ways to swaddle.
HALO has always been about helping babies sleep safely. Created by parents who lost a baby to SIDs, the company’s mission is to put the health, safety, and well-being of babies first.
Back before the baby was born, I was in contact with the company to review their latest swaddle product, the HALO® SwaddleSure® Adjustable Swaddling Pouch. I was excited because I have trusted HALO for years, starting way back when my oldest was just a baby eight years ago. I used to use an adorable HALO Sleepsack Swaddle with him, and kept it for when I had Baby #2 and Baby #3.
That was a nice Sleepsack Swaddle combination, but unfortunately I didn’t have it for Baby #4. I was grateful to receive the HALO® SwaddleSure® Adjustable Swaddling Pouch to review for her!
HALO® SwaddleSure® Adjustable Swaddling Pouch Review
About the HALO® SwaddleSure® Adjustable Swaddling Pouch:
“The HALO® SwaddleSure® Adjustable Swaddling Pouch is the safe, easy and secure way to keep your baby sleeping longer and more peacefully. Its innovative design with adjustable fasteners make it easy to swaddle correctly for a perfect fit every time. Plus, its patented three-point fastening system resists “breakouts” for superior, more secure swaddling. Its generously-sized leg pouch help baby’s hips stay in the correct, frog-like position which ensures healthy hip development and allows easy access to baby’s diaper for diaper changes.”
- The three point system helps to keep babies securely in the swaddle and helps to prevent escaping
- The fasteners allow you to get just the right fit for your baby
- The leg pouch is very roomy to allow the legs to move freely and also allows you to change baby’s diaper without unswaddling
- “Back is best” embroidery, a common sight for HALO products, is there to remind parents to place their swaddled babies on their backs to sleep
- The swaddle can be used over regular jammies, so there’s no need for extra blankets.
My baby girl was a swaddle escapee expert, but she could not escape this one. She kicked her legs and wiggled but then settled in and got comfy for bedtime every time we used this.
I really like that the fasteners aren’t scratchy like some others tend to be. These are smooth so that they don’t irritate baby’s skin. I also like that I don’t need to unswaddle in order to change a diaper, which is a HUGE convenience, especially in the middle of the night.
Note: It is NOT recommended to keep a baby’s hat on when they are sleeping. Hats can be worn under supervision.
Best of all, she would be safe and secure while sleeping. I could trust that she wouldn’t be covered by the swaddle and that she would be less likely to startle if her older siblings made any noise (which is like all the time).
This is a baby product that I HIGHLY recommend! It’s perfect for a baby shower registry or as a gift!
Many thanks to HALO for sending me this to review.
Be sure to connect with HALO!
I received this product in order to write a review. All words and opinions are mine and may differ from yours.