Easy Candy Sushi
My kids love real sushi, but for a party I decided to make candy sushi so that all of the kids might enjoy a little delicious culture.
Most of the recipes you’ll see online use rice crispy treats as the rice in the sushi, but I needed something that took less time (and let’s face it, energy). For my candy sushi, I used straight up marshmallows.
I realize in my color palette I should have used a green fruit roll up to represent the seaweed, but c’est la vie!
I first made candy nigiri, which is when the fish is on top of the rice. I added the fruit roll up to keep the fish on.
Warning: Things will get sticky but super yummy!
Candy Nigiri Sushi
- Step 1: Cut a large marshmallow in half.
- Step 2: Place a gummy fish on top, preferably on the sticky inside of the marshmallow.
- Step 3: (optional) Fold a short strip of fruit roll up (roughly 3 inches) in half lengthwise and wrap around the fish and marshmallow
Candy Maki Roll Sushi
Maki rolls come in a variety of food combinations, including rice, seaweed, fish, and raw veggies. For my candy version, I cut up gummy fish and worms to use as the center.
- Step 1: Cut large marshmallows in half.
- Step 2: Place 2-3 cut gummy fish or worms in between the two halves of marshmallow.
- Step 3: Wrap a 3-4 inch piece of fruit roll up around the marshmallow.
- Want to add roe (fish eggs)? Use small jelly beans, Nerds, or sprinkles.
- Use Twizzlers, fruit snacks, or other candy as the centers.
- Use fruit roll up in a variety of colors for a color pop.
These candy sushi are simple and easy to make. Plus, they were a huge hit with the kids!
Give ’em a try! Let me know what you think!
Pin it for later!
Make sure to share it and/or pin it for later! 🙂