How to Get More Sleep
How to Sleep Better, Even Though You’re a Parent
The sun has set, the kids are tucked in bed, and you’re finally done watching that show you waited three days to watch. It’s getting late, and you know at some point, one of the munchkins is going to awaken you out of a slumber to ask you why the grass is green, so you decide to head to bed.
Jammies on, or, if you’re like me, t-shirt and shorts on, teeth brushed, smartphone plugged in, alarm set. One last check of the kiddos, and you’re off to your room.
You did everything to help you sleep better, including:
- getting a little exercise in during the day, even if it’s just a brisk walk around the block
- avoiding caffeine after 4 pm
- shutting down electronics about 30 minutes before bed
- not having a lot to drink before bedtime
- keeping the thermostat at a comfortable temperature at night, between 60-67 degrees F
- closing the blackout curtains in your room
- keeping the lights dim as you get ready for bed
- practicing some deep breathing
- turning on your white noise machine
and down you go on your mattress.
Except, it’s the worst mattress in the world. You toss and turn, toss and turn, and just when you’re too tired to toss and turn again, munchkin #1 is poking you in the forehead with their question while munchkin #2 wails from the crib.
Why put yourself through that misery every night? Wouldn’t you rather at least get some sleep on a comfortable mattress before the littles wake you up?
I have been there, and my husband along with me. Our first mattress, one that we had for 10 years, was just the worst. Every morning we would wake up sore and exhausted. Our backs, our necks, our legs…everything hurt!
Having a high quality mattress is a must-have to get better sleep. We decided to go mattress shopping.
The Pain of Mattress Shopping
When we went mattress shopping, we decided to try a memory foam mattress. After much deliberation and dragging our kids all over the creation to try out beds, we decided on a particular memory foam one and also on an adjustable bed frame.
It was like magic. The bed, I mean. While the first few nights were rough adjusting to a new bed, it was a huge difference between our last mattress and this one. While still kinda too firm for me, it was a big improvement and our quality of sleep changed.
Getting the bed, however, wasn’t as magical. Negotiating with salesmen who followed us around EVERYWHERE. Added fees here and there. Waiting for the delivery men. Having strangers enter our home and into our bedroom, which to me is an invasion of privacy, necessary as it was.
THAT was what exhausted me.
Ordering a Mattress Online?
I sincerely wish we had done more research looking for a memory foam mattress online. Sure, it’s scary to order a mattress online without having tried it first, but so many people are ordering mattresses online now and the majority of the reviews are very positive.
There’s an upside: most of the time, there’s no need for a separate delivery service to bring the mattress in. A delivery truck drops off the memory foam mattress at your front door. That’s it!
My favorite part about shopping online for a mattress would be not having to leave the comfort of my home or having any salesmen follow my every move. Wouldn’t that be a bonus for you too?
Hybrid Mattress Review
I was intrigued when I got an email a few months back about trying out “the best hybrid mattress” available online, the Tomorrow Sleep Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress.
According to the email, this memory foam hybrid mattress:
- is made in the USA
- combines memory foam with a coil system
- can provide cool comfort and support
I ventured onto the website to learn more. It seemed like the mattress has several layers, including:
- Tomorrow Cool Memory Foam
- Tomorrow Airy Comfort Memory Foam
- Tomorrow Bounce Foam
- Tomorrow Ventilated Foam Rail System
- and Tomorrow Pocketed Coil Network System
Buying a mattress online from Tomorrow Sleep also:
- includes a 10 year Serta Simmons warranty
- has a 100 night trial
- has 203 day shipping and returns
A memory foam bed combined with a coil system and all of those layers that could be delivered in a box on my porch in just 2-3 days with free shipping? Intrigued indeed! After some deliberations with my husband, I decided to go ahead with the review.
Tomorrow Sleep sent me their Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress for this review.
Tomorrow Sleep Mattress Review
The Tomorrow Sleep Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress actually comes folded and rolled in a box. That’s right; it’s delivered right to your home!
The mattress inside of the box is compressed inside of the box and expands once opened.
Be advised: it’s a heavy box! The queen size mattress weighs almost 110lbs. I was able to get it inside of my home and up my stairs myself, but it would have probably been a lot easier with someone’s help.
Once I opened the box, the instructions were simple:
- Carefully cut away first layer of plastic.
- Lay mattress on the mattress box, and unfold.
- Carefully cut away final layer of plastic.
That’s it! Once the final layer is removed, the bed starts to decompress on its own.
See it in action
After about 15 minutes, it seemed that the mattress was decompressed, but not fully. It took a solid 30+ minutes before I was convinced that the mattress was completely finished decompressing. You can see in the images below the slight difference after 15 minutes and after 30 minutes.
First Thoughts about the Tomorrow Sleep Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress
Here are a few things I noticed:
- It wasn’t as thick as my previous memory foam mattress.
- Other than thickness, it looked like any other memory foam mattress you would see in a store.
I actually unzipped the mattress cover to see inside. Without cutting it open, I wasn’t able to see exactly what was in there, but I could feel the different layers.
Does the Tomorrow Sleep Mattress Work on an Adjustable Frame?
Yes! It was a concern of mine since we like our adjustable frame, but the mattress does indeed work with adjustable frames.
Is the Tomorrow Sleep Mattress Comfortable?
The mattress feels like it is cradling your body without sinking in too deeply. This is the medium firm memory foam, so it didn’t feel too soft and actually took a few nights to get used to, as is common when getting a new memory foam mattress.
The memory foam actually fills back in pretty quickly once you move out of a spot. I didn’t find that to be true of my other memory foam mattress, so that was a big plus for me.
As far as feeling your partner or spouse move in bed: there is very little transfer of movement, as you can see below:
Someone who was testing out the bed with me the first day got a little sleepy since she was so comfy! She NEVER falls asleep this quickly in her own bed (she’s my worst sleeper out of all four kids), so maybe I should look into a new mattress for her too!
Final Thoughts about the Tomorrow Sleep Mattress
Would I recommend the Tomorrow Sleep Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress? Yes!
- It’s easy to order and have delivered to your home.
- It’s easy to set up.
- It’s comfortable and may help you sleep better, even if the munchkins wake you up at night.
Tomorrow Sleep Discount Code
Want to try the Tomorrow Sleep Mattress and want to save money? Save $150 off any $500 purchase by using code BEST150 here (expires 12/31/17).
About Tomorrow Sleep
Tomorrow Sleep is more than just a mattress company. They developed their innovative sleep system because they know that having the right tools can make all the difference in experiencing good sleep.
The Tomorrow Sleep System, backed by Serta Simmons Bedding, includes:
- the best hybrid mattress available in a box, with temperature regulating memory foam and a stabilizing coil system
- a memory foam pillow, with two sided construction that feels cool on one side and cozy on the other
- an all season comforter, designed to keep you at the right temperature for a comfortable sleep
- a sheet set, made of 100% USA grown Supima cotton and a luxurious 500 thread count
- a waterproof protector, that keeps your mattress safe from spills and dirt
- blackout drapes, to keep light out as you sleep
- a Sleeotracker Monitor, to track sleep cycles in an effort to improve sleep
All of these items can be purchased separately.
Leave a Comment!
What do you think? Would a new mattress help you sleep better at night?
Be Sure to Share!
Use the sharing buttons below to share on social media! Thank you!