Sunburn Remedy: Learn how to make an aloe vera and essential oil recipe that helps to soothe sunburn and fight skin damage.
Natural Sunburn Remedy
There’s nothing worse than a sunburn after a day in the sun. The inflammation, the pain, the itchiness, the peeling…Ouch!
What can you do to help heal your skin after a sunburn? Aloe vera and a few essential oils can help soothe your skin!
This post contains affiliate links, from which I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
How Does Aloe Vera Help Sunburn?
I’m sure you’ve heard many times that aloe can help your skin after a sunburn, but do you know why or how it works?
Liquid aloe vera helps sunburn by speeding up the process of healing of burns and inflammation, and slows down the aging of skin. Aloe is also filled with antioxidants that help your skin to fight sun damage.
After a sunburn, aloe vera can reduce redness of skin and reduce the amount of peeling as well.
Essential Oils That Soothe Skin
There are quite a few essential oils that can soothe skin and promote healthy skin. Many of these are perfect for soothing a sunburn and helping skin to heal.
- Palmarosa: promotes healthy skin and reduces swelling and aches
- Lavender: promotes healthy skin
- Peppermint: cools skin
- HoWood: cools skin and reduces swelling
- Frankincense: fights germs and alleviates swelling
- Chamomile: soothes skin
- Helichrysum: repairs skin and helps with inflammation
- Myrrh: supports skin healing
- Tea Tree: promotes healthy skin and helps with inflammation
- Sandalwood: cools skin
- Vetiver: promotes healthy skin
- Ylang ylang: promotes healthy skin
Tip: Before applying essential oils to the skin, mix with a carrier liquid or solid, such as coconut oil, almond oil, or aloe vera.
BONUS Tip: Due to photo-sensitivity, you may want to stay out of the sun while using certain essential oils to heal your skin. You don’t want to make the sunburn worse! Many citrus oils are photosensitive, so be careful if you choose to use those in any skin-care recipes.
Essential Oil Blend for Sunburn Recipe
This recipe, called After Sun Blend, is from the June box from Simply Earth. It uses Aloe Vera as one of its main ingredients.
- 3 Tbsp liquid aloe vera
- 20 drops Head Soothing Essential Oil Blend
- 10 drops Palmarosa Essential Oil
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 2 oz container or spray bottle
- Add aloe vera and essential oils to container and shake to combine.
- Fill the container the rest of the way with water and shake to combine.
To use, apply to sunburned skin for cooling relief and healing support.
View this post on Instagram
Store the After the Sun Blend in the fridge for added cooling relief and longer shelf life.
Recipe for Sunburned Lips
Let’s not forget sunburned lips! Below is a recipe to soothe sunburned lips using Palmarosa.
Why Palmarosa? It’s considered non-toxic, which is a plus in case of accidental ingestion (you know, when you lick your lips).
- 1/2 Tbsp Beeswax pellets
- 2 Tsp Solid Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Almond Oil
- 5-7 drops Palmarosa Essential Oil
- In a double boiler, melt beeswax and coconut oil. No double boiler? Use a small bowl and microwave on a low setting for 30 second intervals. (Beeswax pellets melt at a higher temperature, so it might take a few intervals before it’s melted.)
- Add Palmarosa and almond oil. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Pour carefully into lip balm tubes.
To use, apply a light layer on the lips after a sunburn. You could really use it any time since it’s moisturizing.
Tip: Keep a tube in the fridge so it stays cool and use right after sun exposure.
Have a sunburn remedy?
Do you have a natural remedy for sunburn? Please share it with us in a comment below!
Essential Oils Subscription Box
This post is thanks to the June box from Simply Earth.
Every month, in their essential oils subscription box, Simply Earth sends out 6 natural recipes, 4 bottles of essential oils, natural ingredients to use in the recipes, and a fun extra or two.
This is the June 2019 Recipe Box: Summer Loving
Simply Earth Coupon Code
Try a Simply Earth Essential Oils Recipe Box! Each month you’ll receive a box with 6 natural essential oils recipes, 4 bottles of 100% pure essential oils, natural ingredients to use in the recipes, and an extra item or two.
Tip: Don’t want a monthly box? You can also opt to get the quarterly subscription box which is sent every three months.
Use code MKWBFREE to get a free $40 gift card with your purchase!
When you subscribe for the first time using my code, you will receive a $40 egift card with your initial subscription box and bonus box. You can then use the $40 egift card on your future purchase or next box!
Not ready for the box? You can also find some recipes in the descriptions of individual essential oils.
These boxes make great gifts for anyone who wants to try essential oils. They’re so affordable and the recipes make it so easy to use the essential oils right away instead of having to search for them.
Many thanks to Simply Earth for this essential oils subscription box! Stay tuned for next month’s box.