How to Get More Sleep
How to Sleep Better, Even Though You’re a Parent
The sun has set, the kids are tucked in bed, and you’re finally done watching that show you waited three days to watch. It’s getting late, and you know at some point, one of the munchkins is going to awaken you out of a slumber to ask you why the grass is green, so you decide to head to bed.
Jammies on, or, if you’re like me, t-shirt and shorts on, teeth brushed, smartphone plugged in, alarm set. One last check of the kiddos, and you’re off to your room.
You did everything to help you sleep better, including:
- getting a little exercise in during the day, even if it’s just a brisk walk around the block
- avoiding caffeine after 4 pm
- shutting down electronics about 30 minutes before bed
- not having a lot to drink before bedtime
- keeping the thermostat at a comfortable temperature at night, between 60-67 degrees F
- closing the blackout curtains in your room
- keeping the lights dim as you get ready for bed
- practicing some deep breathing
- turning on your white noise machine
and down you go on your mattress.
Except, it’s the worst mattress in the world. You toss and turn, toss and turn, and just when you’re too tired to toss and turn again, munchkin #1 is poking you in the forehead with their question while munchkin #2 wails from the crib.
Why put yourself through that misery every night? Wouldn’t you rather at least get some sleep on a comfortable mattress before the littles wake you up? [Read more…]