Do people touch your pregnant belly, but you don’t like it? These tips are for you!
When Is It Ok to Touch A Pregnant Woman’s Belly?
You expect it when you’re pregnant that someone out there is going to reach out and touch your belly. It’s inevitable, in fact, especially towards the end of your pregnancy when your round belly protrudes from the rest of your body, making it this irresistible target for touchy hands.
Have you ever asked yourself “is it okay to touch a pregnant woman’s belly?” I don’t think many people think before they touch… (Side note: Did you know it’s illegal to touch someone else without their consent? It’s covered under harassment laws! )
Honestly, I have a no touching rule during pregnancy. Actually, that rule is for all of eternity since I just do not like being touched by other people (excluding my husband and my kiddos. I trust them, I guess).
Call me sensitive, but hey, it’s my body, so my rules. Yet, now that I’m pregnant again, all kinds of people are just reaching out to touch me, as if I’m begging them to put their hands on me.
Nope. Just stop, okay?
[bctt tweet=”Is it ever okay to touch a pregnant woman’s belly? #pregnancy “]
Alas, I know that when my belly gets even bigger, people are going to want to put their hands on it. I know it’s coming; it’s a fact of life. For the most part, people close to me do ask if they can touch my belly. I do appreciate the asking, but I still don’t like the touching, and often, as politely as I can, decline…
Can I Touch a Pregnant Woman’s Belly?
So, when is it okay to touch a pregnant woman’s belly? Let’s think about some possibilities (all assuming you are not the woman’s spouse, partner, or child).
- You ask her if you can touch the belly and she says it’s okay. If she gives you an okay AFTER you ask her, then by all means, touch her belly. Lingering is probably not acceptable, though. Nope, it’s not acceptable to linger.
- You accidentally back into a pregnant woman’s belly while shopping and apologize. Hey, we get it. We take up extra space in public places. This would include on packed buses, at a crowded party, etc. An accidental touch is probably okay. Apologies are always appreciated.
- You are the pregnant woman’s doctor or nurse or midwife. If you’re a medical professional who has a medical need to touch a pregnant woman’s belly, have at it after speaking with the patient about what you’re doing. It’s your job to make sure the belly is doing fine, after all. All of my doctors and nurses have always asked or told me in advance what they were going to do, which is totally appreciated.
Whelp, that pretty much sums it up. There really is no other valid reason to touch a pregnant woman’s belly without her consent. Just like you wouldn’t reach out and touch another person’s face or leg or whatever, you shouldn’t reach out and touch a pregnant woman’s belly, no matter how tempting it may be.
What to Say If Someone Touches Your Baby Bump
If someone reaches out and touches your belly, here are a few things you can say after you step out of their reach:
- I’m glad you’re excited about my pregnancy, but I don’t like being touched without permission.
- I’m not comfortable with being touched, so please don’t touch my belly.
- I know my baby bump is cute, but please don’t touch it.
- I’m not comfortable with strangers touching my belly, so please stop.
- I don’t want anyone touching my belly.
- No, you may not touch my belly.
- Stop, I did not give you consent to touch my belly.
- My belly is my personal space. Please respect it.
- Would you like it if I touched you without asking?
- I prefer that you don’t touch my belly.
For me, a simple but loud “Nope!” and a turn away was enough for me to keep one particular family member from reaching out. Other times, I would back up and let people know that I did not appreciate my personal space being invaded.
No matter what you say, say it calmy and firmly, loudly as well if need be. Let the offender know you mean business.
Is It Ok to Touch a Pregnant Woman’s Belly?
I want to hear from you! Do you think it is ok to touch a pregnant woman’s belly? Do you mind if family, friends, or strangers do it to you? What do you say or do if the touch is unwanted? Leave a comment below!